Inspect your deck
Your deck is the centrepiece of outdoor summertime activities. If it’s been a long winter, or if it’s just been a while, we recommended that you have your deck and railing inspected for damage. For securing the safety of your deck, you may consider a temporary solution such as installing close-mesh netting, or Perspex®, on the inside face of the deck columns to help keep children safe.
Ensure that your barbecue is fireproof
If you have a barbecue or firepit, let guests know where to find a fire extinguisher and post any maintenance guidelines close to the item. For barbecues:
- Place at a safe distance from your home, deck, as well as trees and bushes.
- Clean the barbecue between guest stays and provide BBQ tools.
- For a gas barbecue, check the hose for leaks before allowing guests to access it.
- Consider posting barbecue-specific house rules, such as:
- Keep children at a safe distance.
- Don’t leave the barbecue unattended.
- Only use the barbecue outdoors.
Display the location of A/C or fan controls
In the heat of summer, make sure that guests know how to operate your cooling system. If you don’t have central air conditioning or window units, consider providing small floor fans. You can add all these details into the property description of your listing or and your welcome guide.
Try to remove any overgrowth in your garden or landscaping to limit the chance of trips and falls. For guests with small children, this is especially important around decks, pool areas or roads. Along the way, check for insect nests.
Secure your pool or spa
Monitor any gas appliancesGas appliances are common features in holiday rentals. They provide heating, hot water and fuel for cooking. However, gas appliances also present safety risks. These include carbon monoxide poisoning or gas leaks that can cause fire or explosion.
- Install and regularly test carbon monoxide alarms.
- Ensure that appliances have been installed and regularly serviced by a qualified gas engineer.
- If you have the opportunity to switch from gas to another energy source, we recommend replacing gas with electric or solar energy to reduce risk. Please consult with a professional engineer before making changes.