General cleaning and safety advice
The emergence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has created a need to take additional cleaning and disinfection measures to help prevent its spread and help ensure the safety of guests and owners.
Owners are encouraged to:
- Use accurate, reputable sources of information including the WHO, the Australian Govt Health Guidelines and local authorities.
- Make sure to follow local regulations, where applicable.
- Have a proactive plan to manage and minimise the risks associated with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) and similar events, such as a plan to prevent the spread of infection.
- Implement an enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of the property between stays.
- Communicate expectations and plans for cleaning and disinfection standards if using an external or professional cleaning company, and get periodic confirmation that they’re being followed by the contracted company.
- Communicate to guests on the measures implemented, both pre-stay and during stay, via listing content and a property information booklet.
Key cleanliness guidelines for holiday rentals
Support for Guests
- Support good hand hygiene for guests and anyone involved with the property by providing sufficient hand sanitiser, antibacterial soap products at property entry points and key areas, and also encouraging hand washing regularly with water and soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Implement social distancing policies during check-in and check-out, and during any interactions with guests, staff and the local community. When possible, encourage minimising these interactions.
- Recommend removing shoes when entering the property and leaving them at the entrance (if possible, outside).
- Inform guests on how they can contribute in prevention, and actions to take if they identify symptoms (refer to WHO, Australian Govt Health Guidelines or local government resources).
- Consider providing cleaning and disinfecting products for guests to use, along with instructions, antibacterial handwash and additional personal hygiene products are also nice to have on hand for guests.
- If guests clean the property themselves, be sure to assess the results and the overall cleanliness of the property and to implement an additional cleaning if necessary.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s important to keep health and safety in mind. Both guests and hosts should be familiar with general health and safety guidelines for COVID-19 safety, continue to monitor applicable government travel restrictions and advisories, and follow all national and local laws and guidelines.